Who is aburt? Projects past and present
- CEO, ReAnimus Press — a publisher specializing in bringing out of print books back into print; and offering ebook/print book production services. We work with bestselling and award-winning authors such as Ben Bova and Ursula K. Le Guin, offering the highest royalty rates of any publisher and cost-effective services such as scanning, OCRing, ebook creation, cover art, etc.
- Founder of the world's first Internet service provider (Nyx.net; free, donation funded, & still going strong; the first ISP of any kind to serve the public, predating other ISPs by months)
- Retired computer science professor, University of Denver
- CEO, TechSoft (custom web and software design company)
- Science Fiction author
- Founder & moderator of the first writers workshop on the web,
Critique.org (AKA "Critters"),
- Former Vice President,
Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America
- Former curator of "Preditors & Editors," after the untimely death of P&E's founder, Dave Kuzminski. (Was a non-profit organization and award-winning site dedicated to helping authors and artists avoid being scammed. Seems to have gone defunct under the new management, unfortunately.)
- Genealogy buff; related to
Stephen Hopkins of the Mayflower and Jamestown colony, and a signer of the Mayflower Compact. Member of the
Sons of the American Revolution.
Pioneering and freedom-supporting genes seem to fit who I am.
- Co-author of Atlanta Nights by "Travis Tea,"
the absolutely worst books ever written
- Open Source (and Open Fiction) advocate (profiled in
- Coiner of the term Spiders to replace "hackers" — which never stuck :)
- International Cable TV star
- Pinball Repairman
- Creator of the Programmer's Motto: "It Should Work!" :)
- Networking, the Internet, Operating Systems
- AI (Artificial Intelligence), Automated Explanations of Algorithms
- Computer Algebra / Symbolic Computation
- Social impacts of computing, especially First Amendment issues