Who is aburt? Projects past and present
- CEO, ReAnimus Press — a publisher, and offering ebook/print book production services. We work with leading names such as Ben Bova and Ursula K. Le Guin, offering the highest royalty rates of any publisher (for professional authors) and cost-effective services such as scanning, OCRing, ebook creation, cover art, etc. (free for professional authors).
- Founder of the world's first Internet service provider (Nyx.net; free, donation funded, & still going strong; the first ISP of any kind to serve the public, predating other ISPs by months)
- Retired computer science professor, University of Denver
- CEO, TechSoft (custom web and software design company)
- Science Fiction author
- Founder & moderator of the first writers workshop on the web,
Critique.org (AKA "Critters"),
and past president of the
Northern Colorado Writers' Workshop
- Former Vice President,
Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America
- Genealogy buff; related to
Stephen Hopkins of the Mayflower and Jamestown colony, and a signer of the Mayflower Compact. Member of the
Sons of the American Revolution.
Pioneering and freedom-supporting genes which seem to fit who I am.
- Lover of innovation, and chief bottle washer for the
The Copyright Owner's Control
of Access (COCOA) Association
thoughts on copyright
- Co-author of Atlanta Nights by "Travis Tea,"
the absolutely worst books ever written
- Open Source (and Open Fiction) advocate (profiled in
- Inventor of the term Spiders to replace "hackers" (which never stuck, but I still think is a better analogy).
- Parrot Parent
- International Cable TV star
- Pinball Repairman
- Creator of the Programmer's Motto: "It Should Work!" :-)
- Peripatetic Philosopher
- Networking, the Internet, Operating Systems
- Automated Explanations of Algorithms
- Computer Algebra / Symbolic Computation
- Social impacts of computing, especially First Amendment issues